Thursday, April 15, 2010

Uff, IPL aya!

The IPL is a behemoth that even Bollywood doesn't dare to challenge!

And so, the paucity of any good movies at the theatres. Yes, Vivek Oberoi has tried again to be a 'Prince' of the masses but I'll be damned if I go to the theatre to watch a flop actor in a wannabe high-octane Jason Bourne-sque caper. Not unless I want some laughs from unintentionally funny scenes that is. I think its time Vivek gave up on mainstream cinema and looked towards the burgeoning world of parallel cinema. He might just strike gold there.

The other release is 'Jaane kaha se aayi hai'. I have to confess I was a bit intrigued by the prospect of a girl from Venus falling in love with a loser earthling. But treatment is everything and the initial buzz was not promising. I didn't have the heart to drag family/ friends to a Riteish/Jacqueline movie either. I'd rather see it on DVD or when its aired on TV (which going by the look of things, won't be very long).


A movie which I finally managed to catch, albeit on DVD, was 'Kartik calling Kartik'. Gave me the chills I tell you, which I was not expecting. Interesting, different, Farhan-ish (he's an adjective unto himself, this man). Everyone's favourite fable of the loser morphing into a stud is turned on its head in a sinister way. Farhan is believable as Kartik, the repressed soul who bears the taunts of his boss and nurses a secret love for Shonali (Deepika).
Things change for him almost overnight when he begins getting early morning calls from...himself. Talk about self-help!

Soon the overbearing landlord is subdued, the brash boss is tamed and the gorgeous girl is successfully wooed. But things start to unravel fast when Kartik spills the secret of his success to Shonali who poor thing naturally forces him to seek help, of the psychiatric kind. The movie ends on a rather tame and predictable note but possibly it had nowhere else left to go. The title itself is enough to make any person with some grey cells to understand what lies at its core. But still like I said, treatment matters. The movie does rustle up a creepout if not a knockout punch. Farhan's one-liners are cute and Deepika looks good. The music is quite rocking with "Uff, teri ada" and "Hey ya" being the kind of numbers that stick in your head.

Hmm, overall a 7/10 I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment